FOTI #35: Ghost Ghirls
September 6, 2013 1 Comment
Fortnight on the Internets is throwing a meatball right over the plate!
On this episode, dedicated to Miley Cyrus, we celebrate the bride who twerked down the aisle to her own cover of a lewd Buckcherry anthem. We laurel the Reddit movement to create cool audio tracks with isolated vocals of classic songs. And we’re joined by GHOST GHIRLS headliners Maria Blasucci and Amanda Lund, along with writer and Hall of Fame Liker Ryan Corrigan. With music from Bent Shapes and lots of great contribs from our Likers!
Click this link to listen instantly (or right click and “save as” to download mp3)
Subscribe through iTunes – and rate/review!
Subscribe through another site or app using the RSS feed:http://fortnightontheinternets.libsyn.com/rss
Become a Liker! Follow us on Facebook and listen through the Libsyn Facebook app (using the “Click to Listen” button)
If you subscribe or become a Liker, you’ll be able to get to new episodes faster than everyone else. You’d also be wise to follow us on our @FOTIpod Twitter account, where we often have fun interactions with the people and sites we talk about on the show…
“We Can’t Stop”
Easily the most massive thing to hit the internet, and EARTH, this fortnight:
And this Postmodern Jukebox cover from Scott Bradlee and friends, featuring amazing backup vocals from the Tee-Tones:
Internet Report Card
We evaluated the viral items of the last two weeks and found them to be excellent!
#1: Crazy Bitch Wedding March
So many things to celebrate here. The bride’s love of NSFW strip club themes. The groom’s bendy knee groove dance. The attire of the groom’s party. The horror of the out-of-town family member who brought his kid to this den of iniquity.
Brilliantly commented upon by Erik of Internet Comment Etiquette:
#2: Japanese Dinosaur Prank
A Jeni Sue find that further highlights the difference between the generally tame, goofy prank comedy of American TV and the crazed, no-holds-barred pranking — egged on by a maniacal audience — found overseas. The extras fleeing the dino to set up the scare is a particularly nice touch.
#3: Isolated Vocals
A Reddit movement (check out the full subreddit here) that celebrates the most powerful vocal performances of our time. To wit:
Our Musical Guest: BENT SHAPES
Perhaps the best band in Boston right now! They just dropped their debut album, Feels Weird, and it is magnificent. (Pitchfork approved) Bent Shapes brings DIY punk on a broad spectrum, ranging from from scathing social commentary to breezy pop-punk — all of it skillfully executed.
Here’s the band digging into one of my favorite tracks, “Panel of Experts.”
Liker Internet Challenge Surprise!
Liker Ryan Corrigan joins us with our first ever Liker-submitted ICS! It’s the cult classic film along the lines of The Room and Birdemic – THE AMAZING BULK!
It’s a delightful combo of horrible computer graphics, people running in place, sad Marvel Comics rip-offs, hackneyed plot elements, and Comic Sans titles.
Be sure to catch this epic chase scene!
Anything that Amazon.com sells in a package deal with Tommy Wiseau’s masterpiece must be worth picking up.
the GHOST GHIRLS!
MARIA BLASUCCI and AMANDA LUND, stars of looming Yahoo webseries GHOST GHIRLS (12 episodes dropping September 9th!) join us to talk about their new show, how they became the most dynamic new comedy team in all of LA, and their experiences working with director Jeremy Konner, executive producer Jack Black, and a constellation of guest stars. Especially their experiences eating pita chips with Val Kilmer
Shoutout to the Likers
So many Likers brought goodness to the Facebook page this fortnight…
As always, J Sue Gems are a staple of our existence. Not only did Jeni make sure we didn’t miss the Japanese Dino prank, but she also made sure we caught the outstanding Major Lazer “Scare Me” vid.
- Liker Lauren D. sent in video of a 96 yr old widower watching the video of the lyrics he submitted to a songwriting contest about his wife of 73 years, necessitating, as J Sue put it, ALL OF THE TISSUES.
- Liker Neil C. – Two great finds from Animal NY (which I consider a find in and of itself) – Russian army soldiers singing a surprisingly dead on cover of Adele’s Oscar-winning “Skyfall” and the discovery of beer containing electrolytes. Not to mention the INSANE video of eccentric software billionaire John McAfee telling all about his crazy sex, drugs and avoidance of murder attempts exploits in Belize.
- Liker Nate M posed the question: hot dogs or legs? Not an easy question given the trompe d’oeuil nature of the pics on this tumblr.
- Liker Doan posted the video of the most epic freshman convocation speech ever delivered at Georgia Tech. HE IS DOING THAT!!!
- Liker and Past Guest Brett W. let us know what it looks like when a fat cat walks on an underwater treadmill “because INTERNET.”
- Liker Andrew W. – What Phish sounds like to people who don’t like Phish. Sounds a little like past favorite report card item “Beach Boys” shred “I Get Around.”
And our LIKER OF THE FORTNIGHT hails all the way from the other side of the globe but was right on top of the most insidiously viral sensation of the fortnight…Liker Siyabonga brought us one of the best mash ups of the two biggest Sunday night television events of 8/25 – a GIF mash up of Hank and Marie from “Breaking Bad” watching Miley twerk on the VMAs.
Mic drop! We’re out! See you in two weeks.
Thanks to Ryan Corrigan, Maria Blasucci and Amanda Lund for joining us!
Much love to Bent Shapes for the rocking tunes.
Our theme song is by Snowplows.
Cover art by Vicious Rumors.